Sunday, July 21, 2013

Georgia Blue - Flowood, MS


Since one of my co-workers was moving on to a new location it was her choice for dinner. She chose Georgia Blue. Georgia Blue is a locally owned restaurant with two other locations. One in Hattiesburg and another in Madison. Their website says they consider themselves a unique restaurant that defies all labels.

We chose three different appetizers. I chose the Fried Pickles served with ranch, Sharon chose Jen's Fried Green Tomatoes with the crawfish cream sauce on the side, and Sheila chose the Fried Turnip Green Balls. The turnip green balls are turnip greens, cheese, and pecan wood smoked bacon rolled in flour and bread crumbs then fried. They are served with honey remoulade. I don't like turnip green but I did try them. Everyone else liked them but I didn't.

For an entree Sharon chose the Atlantic salmon. It was served with seasonal vegetables and corn grits and topped with roasted red pepper sauce. 


Daphne and I chose the Georgia Blue Shrimp and Grits. The shrimp were sautéed with pecan wood smoked bacon, onion, tomato, and garlic. The shrimp were arranged on a mound of corn and cheese grits then topped with a corn cream sauce and served with a slice of garlic bread. It wasn't the best shrimp and grits I've ever had (for those you'd have to travel to Cotton in Monroe, LA) but it was a unique spin on a classic dish and I enjoyed it. 


My mother is a huge fan of fried catfish so she went for the Bayou Catfish. Four pieces of cornmeal battered catfish top a mountain of corn and cheese grits and cloaked in crawfish cream sauce.


Our co-worker Sheila decided on a blue plate dinner. Her selections included Boneless Fried Chicken topped with cream gravy, cabbage, green beans, Vardaman sweet potatoes, and a cornbread muffin.


As you can see.......none of us went home hungry! I couldn't resist taking home a piece of the apple cobbler but it was very doughy. I'm not a fan of doughy cobbler.


Georgia Blue on Urbanspoon




No comments:

Post a Comment